Sunday, April 24, 2011

Rome I

Roma! And camping on the Tiber River...
After arriving at the Centrale Roma Termni train station, I took the metro to Flamino station, and from there an overground train to Prima Porta, a small town on the outskirts of Rome. Porto Primo's post apocalyptic station was not what I expected... (I don't know, maybe I expected everything to be covered in pristine white marble?) I found out later, Rome in general is pretty run down, compared to a lot of the other cities I have visited so far. Anyhow, I had picked a campsite because they are a 1/3 of the cost of a hostel in the city, many of which had questionable reviews anyway. Tiber Camping in particular, is a little further out, but has a shuttle to the local station every 30 minutes so I figured I'd try my luck.
A bus picked a group of us up at the station and took us to the campsite. Camping Tiber was actually really nice! It has bungalows, as well as a campsite, an on site market, bar, and restaurant. I went to their wi-fi hotpoint, which also happened to be the restaurant/bar. MTVs Classic Best of 1985 was on, Don't you forget about me. The bartender was singing along in a heavy Italian accent. It was funny and I caught up on some news.
Tragically, the big story in the news was the kidnapping and murder of 36 year old Vittorio Arrigoni, an Italian humanitarian, pro-palistinian activist, and journalist. I had seen a screen capture of a YouTube video on tv and newspapers with him blindfolded and bleeding since I first arrived in Italy. Not being able to read Italian, I didn't understand what had happened.
Anyhow, I spent that afternoon planning my trip into the city the next day, and figured I'd start at the Vatican.
The first day, I visited St. Peters Basilica in Vatican city and then the Vatican Museums, including Sistine Chapel. I tried to get to the Colosseum, but it was closed for the afternoon, so settled for walking around and window shopping :)

Rome's Termini Station






An entrance to the Vatican





















Michelangelo's Pieta, blurry because it's behind bullet proof glass. Back in the 70's, a man tried to chop off Mary's face with an ax. Two marines who happened to be there stopped him, but a group of witnesses ran off with pieces of her veil and left hand. The pope later appealed to the public to return the pieces, no questions asked, so the Pieta could be repaired. They were, but the nose had been pulverized so it was rebuilt with a piece of marble from the back, and the man was not charged with a crime as he was mentally ill.


St. Peter's Tomb






























Vatican City is going to be busy for the next few weeks, celebrating Easter and the canonization of Pope John Paul II.





Vatican City









Rome's water is safe to drink, and everyone uses the fountains located throughout the city.



Walking along the outer wall, to the Vatican Museums.



Stairway to heaven?






































Elegant


















Made it out to the Colosseum, but it was closed for tours for the day... it will have to wait until tomorrow.



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment