Friday, April 15, 2011

La Spezia, Cinque Terra

I found an apartment that offered dorms for women called the Corner House, not far from the station in La Spezia. I arrived a couple of hours early and no one was there, so I stopped by a restaurant to have dinner and celebrate my first night in Italy. La Spezia is a quiet and historical town, and it seems like people mostly visit on their way to Cinque Terra or Pisa. When I got back to the apartment, the owner was there and let me in. With my rudimentary Spanish I was able to understand most of what he was saying in Italian. I mentioned why I was there and he told me all I needed to do was go back to the station and get a Cinque Terre card for ten euro. The card grants access to the park, including train rides and the trails that connect the towns. Later, a couple of girls that were staying in the apartment that night mentioned some of the paths were closed for safety reasons.
The next day I went to the station, got the card, and took the train into the park and began at the first town, Riomaggiore. After looking around a bit, I hiked to the next town, Manarola, on the Via Dell Amore, or Path of Love, where it seems couples go and leave padlocks representing their love for one another. I wasn't able to hike further that day, the trails were closed. I took a lot of pictures, but again I don't think they do the towns justice. For the most part, each of them had a main street with shops that were geared towards the tourists, but you can explore the side streets and get a more authentic feel of the towns. There have been people living in these locations for thousands of years, and you can see arches of older buildings have been filled in to be incorporated into newer buildings. My favorite town was Corniglia, and I can't really say why, probably because it was the most isolated and filled with fewest tourists.
I got back that night pretty tired and happy to have made the trip, and I highly recommend it.

Leaving Nice, early in the morning.




Arrived!



La Spezia is quite lovely.



Arriving at the Parco Nazionale delle Cinque Terra



The tunnel walls leading from the train station to the first town










The main street







Not many dogs to be seen in Cinque Terra, but plenty of cats









The path of love



These locks were all over the trail....



As were these stones, with different names on them



Most of the trails are by the ocean









More locks, this is a place where coup,es usually come and get their picture taken







The next town, Manorola

















The next town, you climb up 382 stairs to get to Corniglia, the center of Cinque Terra (maybe that's why there were fewer tourists"



At the top, looking back at Manarola








































A path leading down to a small harbor






At the very end of the harbor.










Next stop, Florence!


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment