Sunday, April 24, 2011

Naples II

What a wonderful surprise! The new Mr. And Mrs. Moro.



I had the morning to spend in Naples before heading the Venice. I figured since I had seen all of the ruins the day before, I would go to the museum where most of the artifacts had been taken, the Museo Archeologico National. I ran into Aurelie and a couple from the hostel and to my surprise, some good friends from home who had just gotten married and were in Naples for their honeymoon! What are the chances of that?
Here are some more pics of Naples..























The Museo Archeologico National, a 16th century palazzo and former military barrack, one of the worlds oldest archeological museums.




















Over the centuries, wealthy nobles and clergymen excavated ruins to repurpose the ancient and expensive marble for their own monuments and projects. Whenever they uncovered a statue, the would commission someone to repair it and then keep it for their own personal use. Sometimes the statues' fixes would be obvious, the colors won't match or there are large visible seams, like the one across the stomach below. Sometimes heads were placed on the wrong bodies.



To give you an idea of the scale of these statues.












The Farnese Bull, the largest extant ancient statue






Crouching Venus



And I thought my hair took a long time...


















Some of the artifacts from Pompeii and Herculaneum














































- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment