Sunday, April 24, 2011

Naples I

I decided to head south to Naples, as I have wanted to see Pompeii since I can remember! I found a great little hostel called 6 Rooms in the heart of Naples... run by Jenny, an Australian who has been running the hostel for 12 years. She is very friendly and informative, and it has been one of the best hostels I've stayed in so far. Huge, bright, beautiful rooms, with frescoes on the kitchen and common room walls. Resident cat and 2 dogs. It was so peaceful and it's hard to imagine that could be possible with all of the chaos outside. I decided to walk around for the afternoon and see what I could since I was leaving the next day for Pompeii.
Naples has a reputation for being fast paced, disorganized, dirty, and dangerous. Some of that it is accurate, but it's not any more dangerous than any other big city I've been in (unless you count the drivers...seriously, they drive on the sidewalks to get out of traffic jams). I actually ended up having a lot of fun in Naples, and when I went out later for a drink with a couple of ladies from the hostel, we were fine, and had a great time. Being a pedestrian in Naples does keep you on your toes. There are also more vendors on the streets than I have ever seen anywhere else thus far. Great deals to be had, you can find anything there! They also have a problem with trash...it seems like every corner had a small mountain of trash. Take a look:

Dante's Palazzo

























Maschio Angiono, built in 1284













Galleria Umberto, filled with shops and restaurants









The mean streets of Naples... I'm not scared!



Palazzo Reale



St. Francesco Di Paola












Dogs were everywhere too, but they weren't aggressive, and somehow seemed well fed.






Mount Vesuvius




















- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment