Friday, July 8, 2011

Bucaramanga - Parque De Flores and la Zona Rosa

Bucaramanga is known as "Colombia's beautiful city" because of its 160 parks. During my visit I went running in Parque De Flores in the mornings, before it got too hot!


















Giant shoes. No, I'm not sure why.












Another interesting sculpture...






Giant bamboo clusters.












One night, we went to la Zona Rosa, a strip of nightclub/bars. We went dancing at a club called Punta Kana. The music was a fun mix of salsa, reggaeton, reggae and vallenatos. (I liked it so much, the next day Luz Marina helped me find music to bring home, at centro called San Andresito. I apologize in advance to my downstairs neighbor :) ) So much aguardiente (a favorite alcoholic liquor meaning fire water made of anise and may be 29% to 60% proof)! In Buca, you buy a bottle of alcohol, like aguardiente, or rum, set it on the table and split it with your friends. We passed on the hard stuff ordered a tall tube dispenser of beer. Mariachis came out at midnight in honor of Fathers day. Upon leaving, we also saw more mariachis playing in the street as well as vallenatos.



















The next few days were all about getting together with family. Meals are big deal!
I love how friendly people are, that you can have a random conversation with a stranger while you wait in traffic. Ines drove us around most of the time. Although she is tiny, she is very tough, she was once one of four female taxi drivers in Bogota. She loves to sing to her favorite vallentos as she drives or cooks and has a lovely voice. I really enjoyed getting to know her. After a week or so, I took an overnight bus to Bogota. I'll really miss Bucaramanga.


















































Deceptively angelic!






Marlena visiting her son's restaurant






70% of flowers in the US come from Colombia.






This would cost you about $10.


















My winnings the first time I played 31!






I really appreciated Luz Marina taking the time to show me around.












The view from my grandmother's apartment.






























- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment