Thursday, August 11, 2011

Akumal beach, Mexico





Akumal is a pueblo that was established by a local on the late 50's to attract divers. The word "Akumal" means "place of the turtles" in the Mayan language, and as visitor you have the opportunity to swim with sea turtles. They feed just off the coast, and during certain times of the year (April to October), the females come ashore to lay their eggs at night, some, up to three times. I went early one morning, taking a collectivo. The beach is about 40 minutes north of Tulum. Once I got there, a couple of girls suggested that I just buy a pair of goggles and swim over to the turtles rather than join a guided tour, as they actually aren't that far away from the shore.
I swam out to a group and found a giant pair of sea turtles. They were magnificent. They spent most of their time eating sea grass about 8 feet below water surface, but then would come up to breathe every ten minutes or so. When they surfaced, their head would bob up they would open their mouths to take in air, and you can even see their tiny teeth. So beautiful. As I was not part of a group, once or twice, when the groups had to move on, I was able to be alone with them. I was careful to keep a distance, and I took great pictures, which I will post later.
Suddenly I realized I was starving, and it turned out that I had been swimming with them for about three hours. So I headed back for lunch. I was really tired at that point. I took a collectivo back to Tulum and rested for the next couple of hours before heading out to dinner. It was a wonderful day trip.

Collectivo = mini bus, 20 pesos one way!









The beach is across the highway...



down a road...



closer...



closer...!



Bingo!



Akumal Beach






Empanadas! The perfect lunch for the famished snorkeler.



Resting in the shade...



The boats on the right are directly above the location where the sea turtles like to feed. Very close to the shore!






Interesting statue, I had never heard of Gonzalo Guerrero.



A plaque commemorating the first Euro-American family.






Time to head back to Tulum. The next stop is Cancun! I am hoping to swim with whale sharks off the coast of Isla Mujeres before I head back to Belize.





- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad


No comments:

Post a Comment