Saturday, May 14, 2011

Dublin

I arrived in London around 1 from Brussels. I was only staying one night, in a really neat hostel named Palmers Swiss Cottage. Neat because it was a renovated (sort of) lodge from the nineteenth century. My "room" was a massive attic with 21, maybe more, other girls. The tall, narrow, bunk beds were set up in rows of three with areas to walk in between them here and there. Every bed had heavy white curtains to block out the light, and it really was like staying in a giant tent city you would have loved to have built when you were a kid. For all of that, the hostel was very well organized, clean, and comfortable. I booked a trip to Ireland for the next day via a company called Irish Ferries. The plan was stay three nights and I arranged to stay in a hostel located in central Dublin called Ashford House.
The trip there began with a speed train to a city called Holyhead on the west coast of England, then a ferry to Dublin. I left London around 9 in the morning and arrived in Dublin about 6. I had decided I wanted to spend one day walking around Dublin and one day out west at the cliffs of Moher.
My first evening in Dublin was nice, I mostly just walked around after dinner.
The next morning, I went to Dublin castle, St. Audoen's Church, Dublina, and the Guinness storehouse. The Guinness Storehouse was very informative, it shows you all about the brewing process in a very entertaining way, especially if you know nothing about it. I spent the rest of the day with a new friend, Chris from Tennessee. We bumped into each other at the Guinness Gravity Bar (the bar at the top of the Guinness Storehouse that has a 360 view of the city as you enjoy your free pint at the end of the tour). He had lost his friends and still wanted to see Trinity college and the National Gallery of Ireland, as did I. We had a great time and ended the day with dinner (Italian, again). That night, through the hostel, I booked a trip the next morning to the cliffs of Moher.
























,






Ashford House
























The Molly Malone Statue






Bank of Ireland






Dublin Castle






Christ's Church Cathedral













Viking Jasmine is terrifying! This was at the Dublina, an interactive exhibition that relates the Viking history of Dublin, up to the Middle Ages.






"Jasmine" in runes






St. Audoen's Church

























The Brazen Head is Ireland's oldest pub












The Guinness Storehouse










































Mr. Taylor from Tennessee. We got quite a bit of sightseeing done that day, including getting trapped in Trinity College.













Trinity College












Best calzones ever :)








- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment