Sunday, May 1, 2011

Budapest II

"pest"
I started the day at Parliment, and walked all the way down Andrassy Street to Hero's Square. I went to the top of Stv. Istvan Basilicas dome for a panoramic view of the city, then visited the House of Terror. I ended the day relaxing at the Szechenzyi Baths, which have thermal springs.

























Parliament. I was too late to join a tour, so I just went on to the basilica.









Stv. Istvan Basilica







Climbing up to the top



When the church was first designed, there was no adequate solution for support of the massive dome, resulting in a cave in. Another architect came in and solved the problem.














Back down and into the church itself.


















The Opera House















English breakfast



60 Andrassy Street, now a museum called The House of Terror.



Some of the victims who were held, interrogated, and killed here.






A piece of the Berlin wall.















Andrassy street is lined with elegant apartment buildings from the 1880's, as well as beautiful mansions.













Heroes Square



The Szechenzyi Baths


















After a few hours in the pool, I was starving! I would have eaten anything, but settled for a chicken gyro. Next up, Prague.



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

2 comments:

  1. Wow Jasmine! I can't believe you've been gone for two months already and are still going strong! You're really getting a lot in! It's been great reading all of your posts, I am enjoying your descriptions, insight and humor :) Enjoy the last weeks of your journey! Be safe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dani! I am glad you are enjoying the posts,. I really can't believe how quickly the time has gone by either. It's down to the wire, and I am still trying to eek out a few more day trips. Right now I am in Ireland for three days, then I fly to Florida for a few weeks. It will be great to be in the States again.. even though I won't be home for a few more months. I miss everyone!

    ReplyDelete