Thursday, June 2, 2011

Orlando

It was great to spend a couple of weeks in Orlando with my family. It went by so quickly. So much happened; my cousin Christine had her first baby and my brother Alex graduated from Celebration High School. We went to Clearwater beach a couple of times. More family came to visit from out of town. I enjoyed sleeping in an adult sized bed again, as well as having as much time as I wanted in the shower. I gave my cats lots of love. Sent stuff back home and got ready for Colombia. Caught up on reading (I think I read six books in one week :).
I try to visit Orlando once a year. It doesn't take long to find something to do. Aside from the major theme parks there are plenty of entertainment hot spots in the greater Orlando/Kissimmee area. There is downtown Celebration (master-minded by Disney about 20 years ago as an ideal small town and as vanilla as can be, very Stepford Wives), Downtown Disney, Universal's City Walk, and Orlando's original Old town (there are actually two of them and they both resemble a carnival dating back from the 50's, where you can buy a bag of popcorn in one of 35 different flavors, a Dreamcatcher, or a pair of "Gucci" sunglasses for five dollars, just don't look at them too closely).
Then there is the tourist trap highway 192, that runs through central Kissimmee. This is an endless stretch of road lined up hotels, mini-golf courses, and gift shops with outrageously cheesy murals, usually dolphin themed. There are buildings with giant 3D mermaids and wizards extending from their facades. My favorite was a massive alligator in the middle of a parking lot with an actual jeep in it's mouth (for a hotel called the Gator Inn). It's ridiculous, and I love it! This is also the place to go for themed based dinner entertainment such as Arabian Nights, Medieval Times, ect. Unfortunately, I sent my memory card with the Highway 192 pictures back home before I remembered to upload them. So you'll just have to picture it :)

Dad's place, on Little Woods Lane, home sweet home. As rural is this appears, it is only about 20 minutes away from Disney.







To be honest, it was liberating to be driving again. Dad was nice enough to lend me his pick up truck while I was in town.

























Celebration's Class of 2011






My brother Alex, and Dad. We are so proud of you Alex!






Graduation dinner: Dad, me, Florimar, and Alex.






Saying good-bye to Dad and Ausania.






On to Cartagena, Colombia!

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad.

No comments:

Post a Comment